2011年6月8日 星期三

Nom Wah Tea Parlor

The Nom Wah Tea Parlor opened at 13 Doyers Street in 1927, and is still in
operation.

Video: Chinatown's New Generation

Wilson Tang is a second-generation American who is taking over ownership of the legendary Nom Wah Tea Parlor in Chinatown.



6/6/2011

Monday
12:47PM
New York Times were interviewing the old man from the restaurant. Later video tapped the restaurant and customers. The restaurant get a lot of press.

For food, I totally agreed with justin t. about their scallion pancake. Although I liked the sweet and tangy OX brown sauce that was drizzled on the pancake but the sauce couldn't save this deep fried pancake ($3.50). The crispness it gave to the pancake was nice but It was greasy crispy mess.

Like most Yelpers, I enjoyed Nom Wah special egg roll ($3.95 for 2 big rolls).Shredded ear mushroom and baby corns (from a can) gave a nice texture. Again, the crispy skin, soaked up a lot of oil, was greasy mess but it was tasty. Because it was so heavy, sharing was a good thing.

House Special Pan Fried pork dumpling ($3.50) - nothing special. I want to note here that ordered many fried thing was not my choice. It was my friend. He said "I am from south!"

I enjoyed Turnip Cake ($3.50/ 3). Small pieces of turnip gave a nice texture and sweet onion made flavorful but again,it was greasy.

We had two non fried thing. Fist one was this exciting mini soup dumpling. I bit into this one bite dumpling and expected to experience oozing tasty soup with meat but there was no soup! Only just solid pork like you find in any pork dumpling. Second one was Vegetarian dumpling. The steamed skin was somewhat clear and gooey texture made interesting. I think filling was same as what's in the egg roll without non Vegetarian ingredients.

We both ordered iced tea. It came in a pitcher with sliced lemons. It was nice touch! This dark (not black) tea had distinctive Chinese tea flavor that I didn't care for but adding fresh squeeze of lemon definitely made to an enjoyable tea.

My suggestion is to get few fried dishes only. Otherwise your tummy is full with greasy oil for hours!

沒有留言: